Fresh Cherries Cake
½ tsp ground cinnamon
50g golden caster sugar
4 tbsp milk
85g butter, melted
350g juicy, ripe cherries
icing sugar, for dusting
25g plain flour
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
25g golden caster sugar
25g butter, at room temperature, diced
- Preheat the oven to fan 160C/ conventional 180C/gas 4 and grease and line a 20cm round cake tin (about 5cm deep).
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and caster sugar into a bowl; make a well in the centre and add the egg, milk and melted butter, then combine with a wooden spoon or electric whisk. Beat well to make a thick, smooth mixture. Spoon into the tin and spread evenly.
- Remove the stalks and stones from the cherries, using a pitter if you have one to keep the fruit whole. Scatter the cherries over the mixture and gently press them in.
- To make the topping, tip all the ingredients into a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingers to make a crumb-like mixture, then work the mixture until it comes together in pea-sized pieces. Scatter the topping over the cherries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin until cool enough to handle, then run a knife round the edge, remove the cake from the tin and leave on a wire rack until completely cold and dust liberally with icing sugar.